Saturday, December 02, 2006

Winter’s back!

The ever innocently beautiful,pure white snow, grey sky, and slippery roads are back in town this year…don’t get me wrong, I love it, and I treasure every single moment of it. For instance, here are some of my experiences/ thoughts as I walked down the roads these past few days, though it might not sound like it, it’s actually rather fun:

  • Trudging through the puddles of mud like today when the temperature’s positive and the snow melts, jumping past or taking some time to think of a maneuver that could magically keep my jeans (and miraculously, if there is the slightest chance of it-yes, sometimes I pray that hard- get my white sneakers) clear from the mud
  • Woops… it’s slippery here. But I’m in a hurry. My solution: try beginner street-skating. A skill from years of winter experience,hehe..
  • The weather’s actually very nice- cool and refreshing. Especially the past few days, since the temperature’s positive. Sometimes I didn’t even bother to wear my shapka (that contraption-thing you wear on your head, which I had never succeeded in wearing without making my hair stick up on ends[even when it’s short like now]-so it’s like a bad hair day everyday, as if I care that much anyway, hehe)
    That also could be the reason why I seem to have a headache every time I come back after spending too much time outside…sometimes a runny nose might keep the headache company for a while…they’re good friends nowadays. But those are minor things. ha-ha…hiccups
  • I’d like to state a point…winter clothes are almost always never becoming on a person…I try not to stifle a laugh every now and then ever since the 1st time I saw my friends here wear them, what’s the point anyway, I’m wearing the same attire- we’re all ugly ducklings here (point: you’re wearing a cushion to class). The shapka’s always either round, or oval?( in malay I think lonjong @ bujur fits the oval description. But combine the cushion wearing and round/oval caps on your head, not to forget those boots (the last time I remember wearing them, they were uncomfortable to walk in too), and maybe if we’re speaking about comfort you might want to remember the long johns which get itchy in a warm environment…you’ll get the picture of what it’s like to live in this big freezer. Ok ok I’m complaining, but it’s just for the fun of it…hehe...complaining can be a great form of entertainment, hehe…just don’t take it that seriously.

    Here are some pics of...



the beautiful Russian winter...
and some of it's uglier points,(a.k.a. the ugly side of Russia)hehe

different times..same road( or actually railway tracks... but in this context,roads)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this entry... love winter! Haha.. It's so not fun when the snow melts though- try walking up the extra-muddy hill to hostel, and cars splashing dirty puddles of water at you (even my tudung wasn't spared!).

An interesting point- sometimes (OK, a lot of time) I like to complain for the fun of it too. It's therapeutic. lol.

Long live winter!

zyryx said...

haha i forgot to mention about the car-splashing. it happens quite often too.have fun walking up the muddy hiroshima hill..hehe

i think i found some other blogs which are made solely for the fun of complaining. some are witty, others amusing, and a few are downright hilarious!
therapeutic indeed

have a nice winter~!