Wednesday, March 09, 2011

I... inquisitions Part II

Part TWO of the Inquisition,

As we go deeper into the dark path of HOship, the Inquisitor starts to break down. Looking up from the torture chamber, a bloody eyeball falling out, the Dude continues on

Dude: strangely enough, none of my juniors asked anything specific..a general question will get a general answer

Nerd:
I'd be lying if i say i didn't deflate just tiny a bit reading through your answer. It's really nothing new. I've heard most of it before (although u provided me with more detail than i ever managed to dig out of anyone else)...
*bla bla bla bla bla


Picking his nose, the Dude lifts a severed limb and pats the Inquisitor's shoulder meaningfully..

..It can't be helped, I'm a frustrated pessimist with a penchant for mean words. But I keep hearing the same recurring theme again and again - all work, no play, no life (not that i have much of that to begin with) - that I feel such an ominous feeling about my future. Like i'd be thrown into a deep well with no way out once i graduate and start working. Insane and morbid, but that's the kind of vibe I'm getting. I'm beginning to question whether this is what i want for myself but I'm so late into the game now to even consider the possibility of turning back. Sigh~

*bla bla bla bleep bleep....
I'm sure your juniors would be equally delighted to get the same in-depth analysis of the daily workings of a junior doctor's life (even when all they do is ask u general questions). Copy, paste, and spread the love?? But of course Copyright it first, is my suggestion

*I had to omit part of it to not get off topic, although it seems all right with me getting off topic, and of course - for the fun of it, hehe.

Dude:
Aww..dont take away the little spring in your steps just for this.
We working people love to give a little scare once in a while to undergraduates...it's one of the perks of being there before you guys, hehe.
I try not to exaggerate and give an almost accurate answer, with facts not feelings, but I'm an intuitive person ( I took a personality test, see) so I speculate and stuff.
To see your future in a different light, consider this:-
- the worst is only housemanship, after that you get to choose what you want to do...if you're lucky - right after housemanship.
- some chose not to do any more calls and went to general practice, 
Dont want to see so many deaths? Join rehab, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, etc.
Not interested in treating people anymore? join administration, kesihatan, transfusion therapy, forensics etc. All are equally respectable jobs with good benefits and career propects.
You want more money? private practice is a gold mine.
Being in medicine means you dont have to worry about recessions and joblessness (at least for now, and historically, virtually never. You are an asset in war, famine, poverty or prosperity)
You want to make a difference, and like to travel? Join Mercy and other charity organisations after your housemanship, or just do your job well.
Some find that they've gotten used to on call life, some even like it ( I suspect they are bipolar) and join their favourite departments.
Some still like their field of choice and go for it, accepting everything they like and dont like about it

If you wondered why did you join medicine in the first place, things would not be so smooth even if you joined engineering or business or become a lawyer.. nearly every "normal" working life nowadays includes 8-5 jobs with less free time, 5-6 working days/week, about 25 days off allowed per year (if in private organisations, it might be shorter)
Maybe a food/drug taster, or a stunt driver might have more free time and money.
Besides, what good is that brain of yours if you dont use it, unless you really really like making drawings or computers or some other stuff, and even if you do, you can pursue those after getting your degree/finishing housemanship.

I once thought the same during my student years, all work, no life, then I checked back, and we are leading perfectly fulfilling lives, and you probably have more hobbies than most people. We might have problems, but so does everyone. This is not heaven - yet (InsyaAllah).

You probably might even like housemanship. It sounds like hardship but it's a training phase that you need to enjoy to complete, and most do find gratifying reasons to stay there. And the sweet memories will make you closer with those living those moments with you.
Bla bla






I just read an article about US doctors calling for a postgraduate rotating internship (the proposed internship is about a year long...they previously had that until the 1970s) due to the increasing number of physicians (encompassing all major specialties) saying they have regrets and are unhappy with their choice of specialty.



My point is, Housemanship is a good opportunity see what you're really made of, and really addresses the issue of what you really like/want deep down. With more time to choose, you'll be less likely to regret what you choose. Although, personally I also think at least 2 years is a bit overkill, but our higher ups justify this by saying
1) We become UD41 officers straight away
2) We get call claims, which means we make a lot more money than other starting jobs
3) We get an automatic pay raise & promotion once we finish (which I still have yet to see)
Dont worry, good luck and concentrate on your studies. Housemanship is still far away.
Now Im going to copy-paste this to my blog. No one reads it anymore anyway, but sure, I'll share..hehe You're welcome, Salam 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you been reading 'A Piece of My Mind- collection of essay (true story) from JAMA'?
i would suggest u read this book. it's interesting esp. for physicians..

zyryx said...

nope..i've seen it but i'd rather read the classic "The House Of God"...now there's a book about housemanship truths you can relate to even today

Izyan de' Nerd said...

I was trying to figure out who wrote that comment in my blog and somehow landed here. And guess what i found! Nerd??? I mean really? NERD?! I didnt actually think bla bla bla bla bla bla.... Babble babble....(−_−;)

zyryx said...

all I have to say is
1. took you long enough
2. I have the perfect defense just for this. Your name explains everything.
In case you didn't notice, your name is Izyan De' Nerd (iz diz ze Deutche or French??)
I just followed suit. AND it was getting nerdy. Of course every bit was interesting, but think of all the people reading this (me, you, my mom, my sis, another stalker/passerby, old imaginary friends and a monkey).Some moderation had to be done!

zyryx said...

i forgot to add anonymous commenters